This past Christmas, I was gifted Chrissy Teigen’s new cookbook Cravings. So, it was only fair I try out at least one of her recipes while I’m off work this week.
I have never been much into cooking but after hearing rave reviews about Chrissy’s cooking skills, I decided to add her book to my wish list (and gift guide)! I tried her Pad Grapow Chicken (Basil Chicken) and it was super easy to make. And it turned out pretty good if I should say so myself. Although, I may have over done it with the chiles. Whoops! So be careful…those Thai chiles are HOT.
Prep Time: 15 minutes || Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 serrano chile (or as many fresh Thai chiles as you can stand)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups fresh Thai or regular basil leaves
- Cooked jasmine rice, for serving
- In a bowl, toss the chicken with the oyster sauce and soy sauce and marinate for 10 minutes. Mash the garlic and chile in a mortar and pestle until finely smashed (or mince with a knife).
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering-hot, add the garlic-chile mixture and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Increase the heat to high, add the chicken, and cook, stirring, until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the basil and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Serve with the rice.